Mass Shooting at Mosques in New Zealand Leaves 49 Dead – Religious Freedom News

Mass Shooting at Mosques in New Zealand Leaves 49 Dead

Dalit Christians, Muslims Seek Rights in Poll-Bound India
March 14, 2019
Pakistani Christian Woman Abducted and Coerced into Conversion
March 18, 2019

Mass Shooting at Mosques in New Zealand Leaves 49 Dead

Over 20 people were injured and at least 49 died following a gunfire attack at two mosques in New Zealand, and according to sources the shooting was allegedly carried out by one person.

Authorities have charged one person and detained three others in the attack. They also defused explosive devices after the gunman published live footage of the shooting and published a “manifesto” calling immigrants “invaders.”

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern call it “one of New Zealand’s darkest days,” according to the Associated Press, adding that it was “an extraordinary and unprecedented act of violence.

“It is clear that this can now only be described as a terrorist attack,” Ardern said.

Ardern raised the national security threat level to the second-highest level.

The people detained have not been identified but authorities said none had been on any watch list.

One man who claimed to have perpetrated the attack left a 74-page anti-immigrant manifesto in which he explained his reasoning. He said he was a 28-year-old white Australian and a racist.